Face X-ray is a method of radiation diagnosis of pathology of facial bones. It is used for visualization of the palatine, sublingual, maxillary, nasal, zygomatic bones and temporomandibular joint. Allows you to assess the integrity and density of bones, the condition of articular crevices, to detect pathological formations in the bones and maxillary sinus. It is used in the diagnosis of fractures, inflammatory processes, including odontogenic, as well as to detect reduced or increased bone density. Several types of examination are possible with obtaining an overview X-ray and images of individual bones and joints in specific projections.
Face x-ray can be an overview (when all the bones are displayed) or a sighting (an enlarged snapshot of a separate area). An overview X-ray is needed for traumatic brain injuries, to search for fractures, bone fragments and their displacement. Both jaws, temporal joint, nose, eye sockets, zygomatic bones and temporal bones can be examined with precision. An X-ray of the bones of the face will show:
- bones of the sky.
One of the types of research is panoramic radiography with the transformation of curved surfaces into a flat image. Detailed analysis is performed intraorally (from inside the mouth) and extraorally (from outside).
Face x-ray will show:
- fractures, bone damage.
- anomalies of development.
- signs of osteomyelitis.
- inflammation and other periodontal pathologies (a complex of tissues that fix the tooth).
- cavities of the paranasal sinuses.
- osteosclerosis – changes in bones with their thickening, deformation and reduction of cavities in the bone or the reverse process – resorption.
- osteoporosis is dystrophic bone changes.
- osteolysis is the resorption of a section of bone.
Alternative methods of examination are CT (rarely prescribed due to radiation exposure to the body) and MRI.
Face x-ray is used in maxillofacial surgery, dentistry, cosmetology. Main indications for examination:
- dental treatment, when it is necessary to identify dental pathologies – caries, fractures, dislocations of the tooth, to see the number and condition of channels in the tooth, neoplasms and quality, the result of the treatment.
- periodontal changes.
- fractures of facial bones, jaws.
- a number of diseases of bone tissue or soft tissues of the jaws.
- installation of a dental implant.
Methodology of conducting
Preparation for the examination is not necessary, it is enough to remove metal jewelry and accessories from the head and neck. You will need to remain motionless during the snapshot. The X-ray takes place in a sitting or lying position. The images are taken in straight, right or left lateral, or other projections at the discretion of the radiologist and the attending physician. Diagnostics will take (depending on the examination area and the number of projections) 2-15 minutes.