It is generally believed that in the hot season, weight problems are not as relevant as in the cold, because appetite decreases in summer weather. However, the risk of getting fat in summer is no less high. Such conclusions were reached by scientists from Scotland who studied this problem.
Winter holidays with their abundant and high-calorie food are usually blamed for a set of extra pounds. However, summer products can cause no less damage. Soft drinks and salads often contain large amounts of fat and calories. Therefore, it is as easy to get fat in the heat as in the cold season.
Experts identify several unexpected reasons for the appearance of extra pounds in the heat:
Lack of water
The reason for the appearance of extra pounds in the summer may be a lack of moisture in the body. At the same time, it may not be felt at all. However, fluid deficiency negatively affects all body systems and disrupts important metabolic processes. So, scientists have found out that if you are very thirsty, then your body is already at a certain stage of dehydration.
Moreover, with a lack of moisture, the body experiences a decline in energy and requires food to replenish it. Food is the fastest way to boost energy levels. Moreover, in the heat, people often prefer food with a high content of carbohydrates and fats, since such food replenishes the energy balance most quickly. The feeling of hunger during dehydration can occur even with a full stomach. A false sense of hunger leads to overeating, and chronic overeating leads to obesity.
To avoid weight problems in hot weather, it is recommended to drink water in small portions regularly, without waiting for thirst. Experts warn that the loss of a large amount of fluid is dangerous for the body. Depending on motor activity and air temperature, the body needs one and a half liters of water a day in winter, from three to five liters in summer.
In addition to such problems as weight disorders, dehydration leads to the development of pathologies in the genitourinary system and increased allergic reactions.
The water is not the same
The second reason again lies in thirst, or rather in what kind of liquid it is quenched. Not everyone satisfies the growing need for clean, non-carbonated water in the heat. Most often, soda and kvass are used. It is important to remember that these drinks contain a large amount of sugar and calories. On a hot day, you can drink several liters of sweetened drinks unnoticed, which is equivalent in calories to a separate meal.
In summer, our diet also changes. In the heat, and especially during the holidays, people often go out of town for barbecue and barbecue, have a snack in a fast food cafe. It is difficult to call such food dietary.
And ice cream! Well, what summer walk is complete without this cool treat? As a result, in the summer months, we indulge ourselves with harmful and high-calorie food much more often than in the cold season.
In the heat, a full lunch is often replaced with sandwiches and other fast food. After all, there is hot soup and the second in the heat does not want. In addition, due to the heat, many people cannot eat during the day at all, but in the evening, when it gets cooler, the appetite wakes up, which leads to a late and plentiful dinner.
Add here the rest in the hotels “ol inclusive”, where there are so many delicious things. With such a diet, it is no wonder to return from vacation with a couple of extra pounds.
During the hot period, you need to pay special attention to the diet and diet. In order not to gain weight, it is important to eat properly and especially carefully control the amount of desserts and fast food.
Summer lack of sleep
Summer insomnia is not uncommon. At night it is difficult for us to fall asleep from the heat, in the morning the bright rays of the sun raise at the crack of dawn. But they also get fat from lack of sleep. Not having slept enough, many people find comfort in sweets unnoticed and gain extra pounds. In summer, it is important to go to bed a little earlier than usual – as soon as it gets dark and the heat subsides a little.
Lack of movement
Summer weight gain entails a lack of physical activity. To stay in shape, it is not necessary to train like an Olympic athlete. Choose outdoor activities, this will help you actively burn calories and keep your body in good shape, even without going to the gym. You can find something you like even in the heat, when you absolutely do not want to move.
Here is a small list of ways to burn calories this summer:
– Swimming. In the heat, this activity will bring double benefit and pleasure. It involves all muscle groups and is harmless to joints. It is important not just to bask in the water, but to swim.
– Morning exercises. This is an ancient invention, the benefits of which cannot be disputed. Charging can consist of a short program of simple exercises that will not take more than 10 minutes. Do them every morning before breakfast.
– Jogging. A 20-minute jog can be organized in the early morning or in the evening when the heat subsides.
– Yoga. Morning yoga accelerates metabolism, preparing the digestive system for work, which helps the body to consume carbohydrates and fats faster.
– Active games. Play badminton in the yard, at the cottage or on the beach. Volleyball can also be organized on the beach.
– Nordic walking and hiking. Make it a habit to walk in the evening hours on foot. Ideally, if the walk will last at least an hour. Such a walk will be especially useful before going to bed after dinner.
– Dancing. It not only promotes weight loss, but also gives positive emotions. If you go to a club to dance on the weekend, do not miss these sessions, but remember about the calories that alcohol and sugary drinks carry with them.
And yet summer is a time to lose weight, because in the cold period it is more difficult to fight with kilograms. Only it must be done correctly. Watch your diet and do not overwork the body.