Radiovisiography is a method of computer dental radiography that allows to obtain an image of the tooth and surrounding tissues with minimal radiation load. The study is used to diagnose pulpitis, periodontitis, latent caries, foreign objects in the dental canal, as well as to control the quality of dental treatment. During the procedure, the detector is inserted into the oral cavity, held in the direction of the studied area, the result is visualized on the monitor.
There are quite a lot of indications for radiovisiography, although for preventive purposes, that is, without obvious problems with teeth, it can also be done.
- Caries. Carious lesions of the dental tissue are clearly visible on the visiograph images. You can even see lesions in the interdental space or natural recesses of the teeth (fissures). Root caries is also available for such diagnostics, which will probably remain unnoticed during the initial dental examination of the oral cavity and dentition.
- Inflammation of tooth tissues – pulpitis. Inside the dental canal is a pulp that contains a nerve. Most often, the cause of the resulting toothache is pulpitis, that is, inflammation of the pulp. To make the right decision, to remove the nerve or it is enough to perform treatment and filling, the dentist prescribes radiovisiography to the patient. The pictures will clearly show which tooth is affected and to what extent. After all, sometimes it happens that one tooth hurts, but it feels somewhat in another area.
- Periodontitis. Periodontitis is a hidden disease, as it affects the endings of the root of the tooth. The patient may feel pain, but only a targeted X-ray taken on modern equipment will help to recognize the cause of its occurrence.
- Foreign bodies in the channel. In dental practice, there are cases when inflammation in the tooth, pain occurred due to the presence of a foreign body in the dental canal. Of course, it does not appear there by itself, this is a consequence of improper treatment and leaving tool particles in the tooth (for example, with which the pulp is cleaned), cotton swabs, and so on.
- Neoplasms in the oral cavity. With the help of computer X-ray images, it is possible to recognize such pathologies of the oral cavity as cysts, tumors, fibroids, granulomas. Such neoplasms may have similar symptoms, but it is important to accurately determine the diagnosis for the appointment of effective treatment.
- In the pictures you can see the pathology of the teeth, which is not visible during the initial examination and is not yet expressed in the form of toothache.
- Radiovisiography of teeth is allowed to be performed by pregnant women in the second trimester, which indicates a minimum radiation load during the procedure.
- Pictures are taken quickly and in various projections.
- The cost of services in private clinics is available to most patients.
Technique of execution
Radiovisiography of a tooth with pathology (or a regular X-ray, if the dental clinic does not have computer equipment) is a mandatory procedure before starting treatment. It is carried out in order to make an accurate diagnosis and assess the condition of a sick tooth. Subsequent scans may be required directly during treatment. For example, after cleaning the canal with a snapshot, the doctor should make sure that he has completely removed the nerve and prepared the tooth for filling. A picture of the teeth may also be required after treatment to assess its effectiveness. Radiovisiography does not require special training. The patient sits on a chair and gets as close to the device as possible. To protect the body from exposure to X-rays, a special apron is worn. Next, the patient covers the digital sensor with his mouth and clenches his teeth. The sensor is located as close as possible to the area of pathology. A picture is taken, which takes several seconds (during this it is impossible to move and breathe).
Radiovisiography is a method of modern diagnostics of the condition of the oral cavity, which has practically no contraindications. There are only relative contraindications when the doctor decides whether to take a picture or you can do without it. Such cases include: 1st and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy, neurological or mental disorders.